Tips for Sellers
The key to selling your home quickly and at the right price is in preparing it appropriately. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Give your home a thorough cleaning.
- Oil door hinges and tighten door knobs.
- Have carpets professionally cleaned, or replaced if damaged.
- Repair dripping faucets and leaky toilets.
- Replace all burned out light bulbs.
- Repair any defective light switches.
- Get rid of clutter both inside and out.
- Cut and edge grass.
- Trim hedges and weed gardens.
- Paint, fix or wash railings, steps, storm windows, screens and doors.
- Clean out the gutters.
- Wash the windows.
- Tidy up the garage.
- Paint, wash and fix garage doors and windows.
Here are some helpful tips for showing your home.
- Keep pets out of the house. Either take them with you or keep them penned in the yard or garage.
- Put away items in the yard like garden tools, bicycles and toys.
- Make sure your home is well lit.
- Remove clutter from tables, countertops and shelves. Less clutter creates the illusion of a larger space.
- Make sure your home does not have any unappealing odors. Grinding up lemon in the garbage disposal is an easy way to give the kitchen a fresh smell.
- Open shades and curtains to let in light.
- Keep radios and TVs off, or on a low volume.
- Keep money, prescription drugs, and other valuables out of view.